New here? Thanks for stopping by. Below you’ll find a number of my most popular posts, arranged by topic, to help get you started. Visit the Archives page for a complete list of articles.
To have new posts delivered to your in box each week, just enter your email address at the bottom of the page.
Thanks for reading! Onward to a rewarding and meaningful retirement.
Planning for retirement
- 7 signs it’s time to retire
- 10 Questions to ask your spouse before you retire
- 10 Questions that will help you decide what to do during retirement
- Are you a system thinker?
- How and why to make a written retirement plan
- The 15-minute retirement readiness review
- Five questions before you quit
- Retirement pre-mortem
- How strong is your why?
- Do I really want this or do I just think I want it?
- Retirement is a path, not a door
- How do you define retirement?
- Be ready for all phases of retirement.
- Be specific with retirement plans.
- When do you plan on retiring?
- Should you move when you retire?
Make the most of retirement
- 15 Practical ways to live a purposeful life
- 3 Simple rules for a remarkable retirement
- Maximizing retirement: Assets vs. Experiences
- Maximizing retirement: Maintenance vs. Milestones
- Maximizing retirement: Time vs. Tasks
- 8 habits of successful retirees
- The problem with delayed gratification
- 7 Decisions you will never regret
- 5 Things that matter more than money in retirement
- 5 Behaviors that will ruin your retirement
- Curate your life
- Retirement: What Seuss might say
- What makes a good life?
- The funny thing about time
- The fierce urgency of now
- Systems and habits
- Methods vs. Principles
- Don’t throw good life after bad
- The more of less
- Routine is the enemy of time
- 4 Unexpected emotions in retirement
- 40 Lessons from my first 40 years
- The cure for “Where did the time go?”
Finances and Investments
- How and why to retire debt free
- How to create a predictable paycheck in retirement
- Here is how much you should have saved for retirement by now
- Your biggest retirement expense (and how to get rid of it)
- How to turn your savings into an income stream
- How spending changes throughout retirement
- A simple trick to make your money last (The secret: Dynamic spending rules)
- How to minimize taxes during retirement
- Let your paycheck be your portfolio
- The arithmetic of loss
- The most important thing to know about your retirement budget
- Essential financial tips for empty nesters
- My brain made me do it: How to avoid bad investment decisions
- 9 tips for taking great travel photos
- The power of deciding
- Don’t wait
- Say yes to adventure
- The declining cost of distance
- Travel roulette
- My number one takeaway from travel roulette
- Why do so many people unretire?
- Walking the Camino de Santiago
- Climbing Mount St. Helens
- Lunch at the Eiffel Tower
- The secret to doing big things
- What is your shot clock?
- Why you need a vacation
- London calling: Should you retire overseas?
- Traveling? Should you buy travel insurance?
- The surprising truth about how retirees spend their day
- The case for mini-retirements
- Mini-retirements and work: A “How To” guide
- One month ago I left for a mini-retirement. Here’s what happened.
- How to accidentally disinherit your kids
- Estate Planning: A short primer
- 10 essential documents for retirement
- Caring for aging parents: A checklist
Medicare and Social Security
- Answers to the top 10 Social Security questions
- Social Security: When can I file?
- Can you count on Social Security and Medicare?
- Medicare: A short primer
- So I moved into an assisted living facility. Here’s how it went.
- Should you buy long-term care insurance?
- Caring for your aging parents: A checklist
Living in retirement
Preparing for the unexpected
- Seven ways to disaster proof-your life.
- A life changing lesson on loss
- Thoughts on losing a loved one
- Memento Mori
- How to protect yourself from identity theft
- Don’t let the death of a spouse derail retirement
- If something happens to you
FREE RETIREMENT TOOLKIT!